ABILENE, Texas - Titus Mims hit a pair of free throws with 6.4 remaining to propel the Hardin-Simmons men's basketball team to a 64-62 win over Texas-Dallas in American Southwest Conference action at the Mabee Complex.
It is the second straight time the Cowboys have beat the Comets late in a game, after the two played a similar game in the ASC Semifinals a year ago.
The first half was tightly contested with neither team having more than a four-point lead and the Comets led 29-27 at the halftime.
The Cowboys came out of the locker room strong and had a 12-0 run from the 16:33 mark to the 15:08 mark to take a 41-33 lead. In the run Titus Mims had five points, Eric Taylor had four and George Nelson has a three-point play. It was the largest lead for anyone the entire game.
Daylon Jones hit a 3-pointer with 8:02 to play to give HSU a 52-46 lead. Kyle Schleigh went to work for the Comets. He had a pair of dunks and hit four free throws that gave the Comets a 56-54 lead with 5:27 to play.
Nelson answered another Schleigh 3-pointer later with a basket to give the Cowboys a 60-59 lead, but the Comets came right back with a Mitchell Anderson 3-pointer with 2:20 to play to give UTD a 62-60 lead with 2:20 to play. It was the last points the Comets would score.
Darius Singletary hit a layup with 1:35 to play to tie the game at 62 and then had a steal with :57 to play. HSU then had a lane violation on a free throw and Schleigh missed a 3-pointer giving the Cowboys the ball with :38 to play.
Singletary spread the floor and got into the paint and hit a cutting Mims who was fouled going for a layup. He hit both free throws and then Singletary knocked away a pass from the Comets before they could get a last-second shot off.
Nelson led the Cowboys with 19 points and 14 rebounds and Mims had 16 points and Singletary 12 for HSU. Schleigh had 31 points and six steals for the Comets and Carter Nash added 17 points and 11 rebounds.
The Cowboys outrebounded the Comets 41-28 and had 19 offensive rebounds that led to a 20-6 advantage in second-chance points.
HSU is now 3-1 on the year and 2-0 in ASC play. Texas Dallas fell to 4-1 overall and 1-1 in league play. HSU plays at East Texas Baptist on Thursday.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated