ABILENE, Texas - Senior Rachel Moore scored two goals en route to a 5-0 McMurry University win over the University of Texas of the Permian Basin Monday afternoon in Heartland Conference action Wilford Moore Stadium.
"I was interested to see how we would come out after Saturday (4-1 setback against Lubbock Christian University) because we didn't play well, but the girls moved past it and played pretty good," McM head coach Alan Riches said following the game.
Holiday Williams (Bedford, Texas /LD Bell HS) started the scoring for the War Hawks. The sophomore found the back of the net moments before the 17-minute mark to give McM a lead it wouldn't surrender. Moore scored her first goal at the 37-minute mark and the War Hawks entered halftime with a 2-0 lead.
McM outshot UTPB (2-14, 1-6 Heartland) 8-3 in the first half and continued its offensive pressure in the second half.
Aleria Luna (Duncanville, Texas /Duncanville HS) scored her team-leading sixth goal of the season 10 minutes into the second half to give the War Hawks a commanding 3-0 lead. Moore (Waco, Texas/Waco HS) added her second goal at the 66-minute mark and Kristen Grant (Copperas Cove, Texas / Copperas Cove HS) scored on a breakaway with three second remaining to cap the scoring.
Despite totaling two goals, Moore is already looking to the next game.
"It feels good to score the goals, but it means more because we won the game," Moore said. "We played together today and that's what special. We'll enjoy this win tonight and then get ready for our next opponent."
Riches is pleased to see Moore go out with a bang in her final home game.
"Rachel (Moore) has been with the program since I've been here and I've asked her to do a lot this season, especially on defense," Riches said. "For her to score twice in her final home is a fitting end to a great War Hawk career."
The War Hawks (5-7-1, 2-4-1) return to action Nov. 2 at St Mary's University and conclude the regular season Nov.4 at Texas A&M International University.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Updated Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Updated Abilene allergist gives tips for dealing with fall allergies
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend