HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A pair of two-run base hits by combined with 7.0-solid innings from was enough to get the Abilene Christian softball team past Sam Houston State, 4-2, in the second game of their Friday doubleheader.
Buckley gave the Wildcats their first lead of the afternoon in the top of the second inning, ripping a one-out Hayley Baros (9-10) offering that plated freshman and junior . Then, with the score tied at 2-2 in the seventh the senior centerfielder doubled home pinch runners and .
That was enough offense for Mosley (5-9) as she allowed just one batter past second base over her final 5.0 innings of work with two strikeouts.
Sam Houston took a 1-0 lead against Mosley in the first with a two-out RBI single by Hillary Adams, and then the Bearkats tied the score at 2-2 in the second on a sacrifice fly to center by Jessica Slater.
The home team threatened again the third with Cecila Castillo reaching third base with no outs on a double followed by a passed ball, but Mosley stranded her there by getting the next two batters to pop up to third base and the final out on a fly ball to center.
Mosley went on to face the minimum nine batters from the fourth to sixth innings and struck out Slater to end the game with a runner at first base.
The Wildcats' win over the Bearkats was their first this season in five tries.
ACU (18-23, 7-6 Southland) lost the first game, 7-1, as they were three-hit by starter Shelby Lancaster (8-6) and reliever Tayler Atkinson. One of those hits, however, left the yard as Simmons went deep for the second time this season to tie the score at 1-1.
The Bearkats (23-19, 12-6 Southland) answered Simmons' solo shot - and then some - in the bottom of the third as they scored six times with 10 hitters coming to the plate. A Tayler Gray home run to lead off the frame gave Sam Houston the lead for good at 2-1, and three batters later it was a 5-1 game after Tiffany Castillo smashed a three-run home run.
Sam Houston later added two unearned runs that inning, but were held in check the rest of the way by freshman (11-9), who struck out five in the losing effort.
The Wildcats and Bearkats conclude their series Saturday at 12 p.m.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill