ABILENE, Texas - No. 17 Midwestern State scored eight runs between the fourth and fifth innings to break a 1-1 tie and win game one of its series with the Wildcats, 9-1, Friday night at Poly Wells Field.
The loss dropped ACU's season and Lone Star Conference records to 27-24 and 11-14, while the Mustangs improved to 40-13 and 17-8.
After the Wildcats tied the game in their half of the third on 's RBI single, the Mustangs batted around in the fourth and scored six times with two outs.
Courtney Bingham broke the 1-1 tie with a two-run single through the right side, and after starter (5-9) was lifted in favor of , Katelyn Vinson crushed a three-run home run to the right-center gap. Kelley Schaefer added a solo shot to run the score to 7-1.
In the fifth, MSU put three of its first four runners on base and received RBI singles from Kim Jerrick and Bingham to clinch the run-rule victory.
Mustang starter Laci Belovsky (24-7) scattered three hits, including two in the third, and struck out three.
The two sides conclude their series and regular seasons Saturday with a 12 p.m. doubleheader. ACU's senior class of , Hall, and will be recognized during a pregame ceremony.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase