TULSA, Oklahoma - Oral Roberts jumped on ACU starting pitcher Garrett deMeyere for four runs in four innings Saturday afternoon as the Golden Eagles picked up a 5-2 in win over the Wildcats to even the Southland Conference series at one game apiece.
The finale of the series at J.L. Johnson Stadium will be played Sunday at 1 p.m. The loss drops the Wildcats to 17-29 on the season and 6-14 in the Southland, while ORU improves to 28-23 overall and returned to .500 in conference play at 13-13 and remained in eighth place in the conference standings.
In the bottom of the first, ORU's Logan Domenico got ORU going with a triple to left-centerfield and scored on a sacrifce fly by Jose Trevino. Later in the inning, Matt Brandy singled to right to score Tyler Boss and give the Golden Eagles a 2-0 lead after one inning.
ACU got a single run back in the second as Gunnar Buhner singled to right to drive in Aaron Draper to cut ORU's lead in half at 2-1.
But ORU chased deMeyere with single runs in the bottom of the third and fourth innings to push the lead to 4-1. Domenico again got things started with a leadoff sinle in the third and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Boss. In the fourth, it was Domenico driving in a run as his base hit plated Austen Colt to make it 4-1.
ACU scored in the sixth on an RBI single by Emil Litterer to make it 4-2, but the Wildcats would get no closer.
deMeyere took the loss to fall to 4-7 on the season, while Pepe Gomez (8-3) allowed two runs on just five hits in seven innings of work to earn the win.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program