TULSA, Oklahoma - Oral Roberts scored three runs in the first two innings Sunday afternoon and those held up as the Golden Eagles knocked off ACU, 3-1, to win the Southland Conference series between the teams at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
The loss drops the Wildcats to 17-30 overall and 6-15 in the Southland, while ORU improves to 29-23 and 14-13. ACU -- which won Friday's game against ORU 7-0, but lost the last two days 5-2 and 3-1 -- will be back in action this weekend with a three-game Southland series at Incarnate Word before closing the season next week with a game at Arizona State (May 20) and three games at Arizona (May 23-25).
ACU starting pitcher Ty Walker lasted just one-third of an inning and gave up a two-run home run to Jose Trevino before he was pulled in favor of Ladgie Zotyka. Zotyka gave up a run in the second, but that's all he allowed in 2 2/ 3 innings of work.
Wildcat relievers Kevin Sheets and Nate Cole finished up the game with five innings of three-hit baseball. Zotyka, Sheets and Cole combined to hold ORU to just six hits and one run over the final eight innings of the game.
ORU's pitching was just as effective as four pitchers allowed just six Wildcat hits and one run. ACU's lone run came in the fourth inning when Brandon Grudzielanek led off with a single, stole second, went to third on a single by Heath Beasley and then scored on a wild pitch.
ACU left six runners on base in the game, including Seth Spivey on third in the first inning, Jordan Forrester and Spivey in the third, Beasley on second in the fourth, Tyler Eager on third in the sixth and Gunnar Buhner on second in the seventh.
ORU starting pitcher Guillermo Trujillo went five innings and allowed just one run on five hits while striking out six Wildcats to improve his record to 3-3. Jordan Romano finished up the game with a 1-2-3 ninth inning to earn his 11th save of the season.
Information for this story provided by Abilene Christian Athletics.
- Updated Police: Man now faces murder charge in Big Spring after woman, 64, dies
- Abilene police chief posts on social media after 10 morning crashes
- Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget