TYLER, Texas - Texas-Tyler's Travis Dykman hit a running 30-footer at the buzzer to beat Hardin-Simmons 73-72 in American Southwest Conference men's basketball action at the Herrington Patriot Center in Tyler on Saturday afternoon.
Dykman took a pass at midcourt with 3.7 to play drove against two defenders and flung up a high-arching shot that found the bottom of the net as time expired to give the Patriots the win. The Cowboys had just scored on a basket by Darius Singletary with 3.7 to play.
The Patriots used a 10-2 run at the end of the first half to take a 33-28 halftime lead. The Cowboys took the lead on a Matt Sinclair layup with 15:01 to play and that started a 9-0 run that gave HSU a 50-42 lead with 12:52 to play.
UTT then scored the next seven points over the next 1:33 to make it 50-49. HSU led 57-55 when Darren Houliston made a layup with 8:43 to play. The Cowboys had three straight 3-pointers (one each by John Derr, Eric Taylor and EZ Garcia) and took a 66-57 lead with 6:15 to play.
Once again the Patriots had the answer and went on a 13-2 run to take the lead on a Houlitson layup with 1:14 to play. Singletary retied the game :12 later and Jordan Cannon missed on the Patriots next possession.
HSU drained the clock down to eight seconds and Singletary got in the lane and made the shot to setup the UT-Tyler dramatics.
Singletary had 19 points, five rebounds and six assists. Eric Taylor had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Cowboys and hit four 3-pointers and Matt Sinclair had 11 points and eight rebounds off the bench.
Houlitson paced the Patriots with 30 points, including a 14-of-20 effort from the field. He also had nine rebounds. Dykman and Cannon had 12 points each for the Patriots.
HSU is now 4-2 overall and 3-1 in ASC action. The Patriots improved to 6-1 overall and 4-0 in ASC action. The Cowboys will take the week off for finals and return to action next Saturday against Louisiana College at 5:30 at the Mabee Complex.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated