TYLER, Texas - Texas-Tyler's Travis Dykman hit a running 30-footer at the buzzer to beat Hardin-Simmons 73-72 in American Southwest Conference men's basketball action at the Herrington Patriot Center in Tyler on Saturday afternoon.
Dykman took a pass at midcourt with 3.7 to play drove against two defenders and flung up a high-arching shot that found the bottom of the net as time expired to give the Patriots the win. The Cowboys had just scored on a basket by Darius Singletary with 3.7 to play.
The Patriots used a 10-2 run at the end of the first half to take a 33-28 halftime lead. The Cowboys took the lead on a Matt Sinclair layup with 15:01 to play and that started a 9-0 run that gave HSU a 50-42 lead with 12:52 to play.
UTT then scored the next seven points over the next 1:33 to make it 50-49. HSU led 57-55 when Darren Houliston made a layup with 8:43 to play. The Cowboys had three straight 3-pointers (one each by John Derr, Eric Taylor and EZ Garcia) and took a 66-57 lead with 6:15 to play.
Once again the Patriots had the answer and went on a 13-2 run to take the lead on a Houlitson layup with 1:14 to play. Singletary retied the game :12 later and Jordan Cannon missed on the Patriots next possession.
HSU drained the clock down to eight seconds and Singletary got in the lane and made the shot to setup the UT-Tyler dramatics.
Singletary had 19 points, five rebounds and six assists. Eric Taylor had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Cowboys and hit four 3-pointers and Matt Sinclair had 11 points and eight rebounds off the bench.
Houlitson paced the Patriots with 30 points, including a 14-of-20 effort from the field. He also had nine rebounds. Dykman and Cannon had 12 points each for the Patriots.
HSU is now 4-2 overall and 3-1 in ASC action. The Patriots improved to 6-1 overall and 4-0 in ASC action. The Cowboys will take the week off for finals and return to action next Saturday against Louisiana College at 5:30 at the Mabee Complex.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash