BROWNWOOD, Texas - Poor second half shooting by the Howard Payne men's basketball team leads to a 94-87 conference loss to Concordia University Texas Thursday evening in the Brownwood Coliseum.
Howard Payne shot 50% from the field in the first half to gain a 53-45 halftime advantage. HPU's scored 15 of his 21 points in the opening half to spark the Yellow Jacket halftime lead.
The Jackets cooled off in the second shooting just 36% to finish 44% for the game. It was 27 HPU turnovers that also played a factor in the Jacket loss.
Concordia took the lead 66-65 with 11:38 to play. CTX used a 9-0 with eight minutes remaining to build a nine point lead. The Jackets were able to get within four, 84-80 with 3:29 on A jumper. That was as close as Howard Payne would get falling 94-87.
HPU was led by with a game high 23 points and a team high seven rebounds. Ford finished with 17 off the bench on 6 of 10 shooting.
Josh Sanchez led CTX with 18 points. Dwayne Patterson added 16 points and 12 rebounds. Darien Harris finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
Howard Payne stands at 5-13 overall and 3-9 in conference. CTX improves to 14-4 overall and 9-3 in ASC play. The Jackets will play next on Saturday versus Mary Hardin-Baylor at 3:00 pm in the Brownwood Coliseum.
Information provided by HPU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated