WICHITA FALLS, TX - McMurry University men's golfer Matt Porter scored a 2-over par 73 in the second round of the 86th West Texas Amateur at the par-71, 6,983-yard Wichita Falls Country Club, making the cut for Sunday's final round. Porter is 1-over for the tournament through 36 holes, with an aggregate 143.
Porter, a senior from Seymour, Texas, is tied for seventh place overall. Porter is seven shots off leader Wes Artac's total of 136 for two rounds (Artac is one of just four players in red numbers for the tournament).
Starting on the back side on Saturday, Porter was even with a total of 36 on his out nine holes. Porter birdied the par-4, 429-yard No. 3 hole (playing as the second most difficult hole on the course) to move to 2-under for the tournament.
However, bogeys on the par-4 Nos. 5 and 7 holes – as well as a double bogey on the par-4 No. 8 - dropped him to 3-over for the day and 2-over for the event.
Porter was able to get a stroke back by birdying his final hole of the day – the 458-yard, par-4 ninth – to finish his round with a 73.
- Information for this story was provided by McMurry University Athletics -
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking