SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Sophomore Corbin Renner recorded his first tournament win as a collegiate golfer on Tuesday, leading the third-ranked Abilene Christian golf team to a dominating 33-stroke victory over a 12-team field here at the Dominion Country Club for the Bruce Williams Memorial Invitational.
The Wildcats posted a three-round score of 13-under-851 and were bolstered by the top-five performances of Renner (12-under-204), senior Alex Carpenter (4-under-212) and junior Trey Sullivan (3-under-213). The victory was ACU's second of the fall and first since its season-opening win at Abilene's Charles Coody West Texas Intercollegiate. Defending Lone Star Conference champion Cameron and Incarnate Word tied for second place at 20-over-884, while tournament host St. Mary's settled for third at 27-over-891.
Renner yesterday was tied for first place at 2-under-70 with St. Mary's Marko Lloyd following the first round, but then quickly distanced himself with his best score of the fall - a second round 6-under-66. Lloyd, meanwhile, struggled to keep pace with a 5-over-77, which left Carpenter as Renner's closest challenger entering today's final round.
Carpenter began the morning four strokes behind his teammate at 4-under-140, but was unable to make up any ground behind a par-72. Renner, however, played brilliantly once again in firing a 4-under-68, while Sullivan jumped two spots from sixth to fourth with a 5-under-67. Incarnate Word's Austin Wylie shot a 3-under-69 to tie Carpenter for runner-up honors.
Elsewhere for the Wildcats this week, redshirt senior Morgan Johnson tied for 18th at 8-over-224, Ian Evans tied for 35th at 13-over-229, and Kyle Dickerson tied for 58th at 27-over-243.
The Williams Memorial Invitational served as ACU's final event of the fall, during which the Wildcats finished among the top-six teams at each of their five tournaments. ACU will return to action in late February for the start of its 2013 spring season and the Quintero Invitational, which is hosted this year by North Dakota State at the Quintero Golf and Country Club in Peoria, Ariz.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Updated Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking another cold front
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend