WACO, Texas - The Bears celebrated the opening of their final season at Floyd Casey Stadium by taking a 28-0 lead in the first quarter after Nick Florence, last year's record-setting replacement for Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, delivered the pre-game prayer.
Petty, a junior, needed just 10 plays and 2:05 combined on game-opening drives of 70 and 65 yards for a 14-0 lead.
Wofford, one of the best running teams in FCS, struggled in its first game without all-time rushing leader Eric Breitenstein. Playing their first game in Texas, the Terriers needed 60 carries to get 173 rushing yards, 2.9 yards per run.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Mostly sunny and low 90s for Thursday
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family