SAN ANTONIO - It was a tale of two halves in the McMurry men's basketball team's, 71-50, loss at the hands of St. Mary's. Up 25-24 at half time, the War Hawks succumbed to 47 second-half points by the Rattlers, to fall to 10-4 on the season.
The first half couldn't have started off better for the War Hawks as DJ Stennis and Dominick Walker fueled a 10-4 run to start the game. Walker went 3-for-3 and Stennis hit both of his shots to open the contest. However, with the War Hawks up seven, at 11-4, the Rattlers went on a 7-0 run to quickly tie the game at 11-11 with 9:30 remaining in the half.
Neither team could gain the upper hand in the half, as the biggest lead the rest of the way was just four points. Two free-throws by Stennis gave McMurry a 25-24 lead at the half.
The second half proved to be all Rattlers. St. Mary's Kevin Kotzur hit a jumper to give St. Mary's a one –point lead, and they never looked back. McMurry found themselves on the short end of a 47 point half from the Rattlers.
In the second half, the War Hawks were just 7-of-25 from the field, while St. Mary's shot 17-of-28 and were 10-of-13 from the free throw line. Kotzur was the key in the second-half, scoring 18 of his game-high 26 in the second frame.
Offensively, Takoby Jackson led the way for McMurry, scoring 16 points. Stennis finished with 11 while Walker, Antonio Bell and Kaylim Noel all ended with six.
For the game, McMurry shot just 32 percent from the field, while St. Mary's finished the day shooting just over 55 percent. The Rattlers also held a 16-1 advantage in second chance points.
McMurry will be back in action on Thursday, January 24, when they return to Kimbrell Arena for a contest with Oklahoma Panhandle State. The game is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated