RICHARDSON, Texas - Four Hardin-Simmons' baseball players were named first-team all-American Southwest Conference West Division first team and Colson Craddick was named co-freshman of the year in voting of the league's head coaches.
Senior pitchers Tyler Brunnemann and James Simmons, junior second baseman Marcus Uechi and senior outfielder Andrew Bell were named first-team selections.
Brunnemann went 1-1 with 10 saves and a 1.12 ERA and earned first-team honors for the first time in his career. He struck out 62 batters and walked only three in 40 innings of work on the season. He was a second-team all-ASC selection each of the last three seasons.
Simmons was named first-team all-ASC for the second time in three seasons with the Cowboys and he was second team in the other. He went 5-6 on the year with a 3.18 ERA. He had eight complete games and two shutouts and struck out 73 batters in 79 and two-third innings.
Uechi was named first-team all-ASC for the first time. He hit .331 and led the team in runs scored (37), hits (52), doubles (12), triples (three), home runs (three), slugging percentage (.503), on-base percentage (.439) and stolen bases (11). He started all 42 games.
Bell, a senior transfer from McMurry, led the team with a .336 average and had two home runs and 24 RBIs. He also led the team with 28 walks and recorded 50 hits and 35 runs scored.
Craddick was named the co-freshman of the year with Connor Bertsch of Concordia. Craddick hit .306 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.
Junior shortstop Jon Finney, senior first baseman Troy Nicholson and Craddick as a designated hitter were all named honorable mention all-ASC selections.
Senior outfielder Carlton Brown of Howard Payne and Ryan Ullmann of Concordia were named the ASC West player and pitcher of the year. Kevan House of Texas-Tyler and Seth Webster of Louisiana College were the ASC East player and pitcher of the year.
Redshirt freshman Zach Whiddon of Mary Hardin-Baylor was named the ASC West Newcomer of the year. Chris Whitehead of Schreiner was named the sportsmanship athlete of the year and Texas Lutheran was named the coaching staff of the year.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer