ABILENE, TX - Melanie Chonko has named Kelsey Smith as a full-time assistant coach with the Hardin-Simmons women's program for the 2014-15 season.
Smith had originally planned to become a graduate assistant for the Cowgirls but was named an assistant coach when assistant Laura Lange accepted a job at Jim Ned last month.
Smith was a three-year standout player at Abilene Christian and played her senior year under former Hardin-Simmons women's basketball coach Julie Goodenough.
She averaged 11.4 points and 7.1 rebounds and had 60 blocked shots as a senior.
She played three years for ACU after transferring after one season at Missouri State. Smith was a standout player at Coppell High School.
In her career at ACU, she was named the Lone Star Conference newcomer of the year in 2011 and was a three-time all-Lone Star Conference selection. She led the Wildcats to the 2013 Lone Star Championship and to the NCAA Tournament. She was twice named a team captain and was on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Last year she spent working in the Abilene Christian athletic department as she completed her degree in kinesiology and health promotions.
Smith takes the position with HSU to replace former assistant coach Laura Lange.
- Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons University Athletics -
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash