ABILENE, TX - Melanie Chonko has named Kelsey Smith as a full-time assistant coach with the Hardin-Simmons women's program for the 2014-15 season.
Smith had originally planned to become a graduate assistant for the Cowgirls but was named an assistant coach when assistant Laura Lange accepted a job at Jim Ned last month.
Smith was a three-year standout player at Abilene Christian and played her senior year under former Hardin-Simmons women's basketball coach Julie Goodenough.
She averaged 11.4 points and 7.1 rebounds and had 60 blocked shots as a senior.
She played three years for ACU after transferring after one season at Missouri State. Smith was a standout player at Coppell High School.
In her career at ACU, she was named the Lone Star Conference newcomer of the year in 2011 and was a three-time all-Lone Star Conference selection. She led the Wildcats to the 2013 Lone Star Championship and to the NCAA Tournament. She was twice named a team captain and was on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Last year she spent working in the Abilene Christian athletic department as she completed her degree in kinesiology and health promotions.
Smith takes the position with HSU to replace former assistant coach Laura Lange.
- Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons University Athletics -
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Updated Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- Updated American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames
- Updated Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self
- Updated Police: Man robs New York City bank in ball gown, heels