SMU (1-2) at TCU (1-2), 11 a.m. CT Saturday (Fox Sports 1)
Line: TCU by 19Â½.
Series record: TCU leads 45-40-7
WHAT'S AT STAKE
The Iron Skillet, which goes to winner of game between only FBS teams in Dallas-Fort Worth market. Both teams trying to avoid 1-3 starts. TCU hasn't been 1-3 since 1999, when Gary Patterson was still defensive coordinator and Frogs finished 8-4. SMU started 1-3 last season, but recovered for 6-6 regular season and school-record fourth straight bowl bid.
The SMU passing game combination of coach June Jones and passing game coordinator Hal Mumme vs. TCU's 4-2-5 defense loaded with experienced cornerbacks and safeties. The Mustangs have thrown for 1,046 yards and quarterback Garrett Gilbert, the nation's leader with 38 completions per game, has team-leading 103 of Mustangs' 339 yards rushing. The Frogs have given up 676 yards passing with more interceptions than TDs allowed (5-4).
PLAYERS TO WATCH
SMU: Linebacker Kevin Pope leads Mustangs with 30 tackles (12 solo, 18 assists). He also has 4Â½ tackles for loss and team-high 1Â½ sacks.
TCU: Cornerback Jason Verrett has shut down pair of high-profile receivers in head-to-head matchups this season. Texas Tech's Eric Ward was held without catch while LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. had only one catch for 8 yards.
FACTS & FIGURES
TCU has won 11 of the past 13 against the Mustangs, whose win in 2005 was only loss by the Horned Frogs that season. ... The Frogs are 25-8 in regular-season games following loss under Patterson. ... TCU has eight sacks this season, by seven different players. ... Over past 31 games, SMU is 16-0 when scoring first and 0-15 when opponent scores first.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated