ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian's women's soccer team looks to build on its 1-0 start this weekend with matches against Texas-Brownsville and Texas-El Paso.
The Wildcats will play host to the Ocelots in their home opener at the Wildcat Soccer Complex Friday at 4 p.m. before heading west along I-20 for Sunday's 1 p.m. contest at UTEP.
Members of the Red River Athletic Conference, UT-Brownsville last year advanced to the NAIA National Tournament Elite 8 behind an overall record of 16-4-1. The Ocelots also outscored their opposition 69-18 as Nelleke Smits notched 17 goals, while Isadora Freitas provided 11 for the second straight season.
This year's Ocelots have yet to play a regular-season match, but they recently recorded a pair of exhibition ties against Bellevue University and Monterrey Tech.
ACU defeated UT-Brownsville 1-0 in their previous meeting on Sept. 27, 2009 at the Wildcat Soccer Complex. Lexi Stirling headed in the game-winner on an assist from Jordan Reese just inside the 97th minute.
The Wildcats continued their winning ways against NAIA programs earlier this week after they edged a talented side from Oklahoma City University, 3-2. Sunday's win improved ACU's all-time record vs. the NAIA to 7-0.
Senior forward Andrea Carpenter provided three points on a goal and assist, however, it junior transfer Tiffany Ysassi who was credited with the game-winner off an assist from Katie Stivers in the 83rd minute. Jacey Ferrara broke a 1-1 tie with her goal in the 70th minute as the Wildcats outshot the Stars, 13-7.
ACU's freshmen goalkeepers Kelsey Dombrowski and Sydney Newton each played one half and allowed a goal.
The Miners are off to a 2-0 start and will welcome Utah State to El Paso on Friday night prior to taking on the Wildcats. UTEP won its season opener, 3-2, over Utah Valley thanks to sophomore Angela Cutaia's first career goal that snapped a 2-2 tie in the 86th minute. Cutaia scored again during UTEP's 2-0 decision against Nebraska-Omaha.
Sarah Dilling has played the majority of minutes for the Miners in goal. She's allowed two scores, while stopping 11 shots. Dilling and Keighton Allen combined on the shutout of UNO.
UTEP is a member of Conference USA. The Miners went 10-10 last year and 3-8 vs. their conference.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday