AUSTIN, Texas - Texas has been promising big things from Daje (duh-JAY) Johnson this season and he delivered two of them in the Longhorns' season opener.
Johnson scored touchdowns on a 66-yard pass and a 24-yard run that turned a slow start into a 56-7 rout of New Mexico State.
And with speed, shifty moves in the open field and power at the line of scrimmage, Johnson's already drawing comparisons to some of the top all-around Texas athletes of the last 25 years, such as Eric Metcalf.
Originally recruited by TCU as a defensive back, Johnson spurned the Horned Frogs for Texas when the Longhorns promised to put the ball in his hands and send him sprinting to the end zone.
Texas (1-0) plays at BYU (0-1) on Saturday.
- Updated Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Updated Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- KTXS Forecast: Perfect weather for coming weekend
- Man recants story about road rage incident near Abilene
- Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget