AUSTIN, Texas - Texas has been promising big things from Daje (duh-JAY) Johnson this season and he delivered two of them in the Longhorns' season opener.
Johnson scored touchdowns on a 66-yard pass and a 24-yard run that turned a slow start into a 56-7 rout of New Mexico State.
And with speed, shifty moves in the open field and power at the line of scrimmage, Johnson's already drawing comparisons to some of the top all-around Texas athletes of the last 25 years, such as Eric Metcalf.
Originally recruited by TCU as a defensive back, Johnson spurned the Horned Frogs for Texas when the Longhorns promised to put the ball in his hands and send him sprinting to the end zone.
Texas (1-0) plays at BYU (0-1) on Saturday.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital