AUSTIN, Texas - Texas has been promising big things from Daje (duh-JAY) Johnson this season and he delivered two of them in the Longhorns' season opener.
Johnson scored touchdowns on a 66-yard pass and a 24-yard run that turned a slow start into a 56-7 rout of New Mexico State.
And with speed, shifty moves in the open field and power at the line of scrimmage, Johnson's already drawing comparisons to some of the top all-around Texas athletes of the last 25 years, such as Eric Metcalf.
Originally recruited by TCU as a defensive back, Johnson spurned the Horned Frogs for Texas when the Longhorns promised to put the ball in his hands and send him sprinting to the end zone.
Texas (1-0) plays at BYU (0-1) on Saturday.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Police arrest San Angelo city employee after theft investigation
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Updated Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills