NACOGDOCHES - Playing without their starting point guard Whitney West, ACU's fortunes went south Thursday night as the Wildcats were blown out by Stephen F. Austin in Southland Conference women's basketball action.
West missed the game with the flu and ACU never found an offensive rhythm as the Lady Jacks turned an eight-point halftime lead into an 80-59 win at William R. Johnson Coliseum.
The loss drops the Wildcats to 12-9 overall and 3-3 in the Southland, while the Lady Jacks snapped a three-game losing streak to improve to 11-9 and 5-3. ACU will be back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. when it takes on Northwestern State in Natchitoches, La.
ACU had one of its worst offensive nights of the season as the Wildcats failed to score at least 60 points for the seventh time this season and fell to 1-6 in those games.
The Wildcats also had one of their worst shooting nights of the season as they hit just 25 of 63 shots from the field (39.7 percent), including 4 of 24 shots 3-point range (16.7 percent). The four 3-point field goals made are the Wildcats' lowest of the season (previous low was five against Tulsa in an 81-61 loss on Dec. 14).
The Lady Jacks dominated the game in the paint as they scored 52 points in the paint compared to just 40 for the Wildcats. The Lady Jacks' starting frontcourt of forwards Daylyn Harris (18 points) and Tierany Henderson (10 points) and post Porsha Roberts (12 points) combined for 40 points and 16 rebounds.
ACU kept the game within reach in the first half, trailing just 29-27 with 3:46 left in the half on back-to-back buckets by Brianne Jolivet. The Lady Jackson, however, outscored the Wildcats 9-3 in the last couple of minutes of the first half to carry a 38-30 lead into halftime.
The Lady Jacks then came out of the lockerroom and scored the seven of the first nine points of the second half to push the lead to 13 points (45-32) with 18:30 to play in the game. The Wildcats would never close the lead below that 13-point margin as the Lady Jacks ran away, thanks to 20 turnovers from the Wildcats.
Freshman guard Alexis Mason – who scored all 10 of her points in the first half – and Renata Marquez led the Wildcats in scoring. Sydney Shelstead got the start in the middle and responded with eight points, two rebounds, two assists and one steal for the Wildcats.
Information provided by ACU Athletics.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program