FRISCO, Texas - Abilene Christian senior Chloe Susset and Oral Roberts sophomore Jonathan Harper Tuesday were named the Southland Conference Cross Country Men's and Women's Athletes of the Week.
Susset is the first Wildcat to be voted as a Southland Conference athlete of the week. Several ACU volleyball and soccer players, however, have been listed as honorable mentions over the past two weeks.
Susset earned the majority of votes over several nominees after winning Saturday's 5K at the Bill Libby/McMurry Invitational. The native of Clery Vexin, France and all-America with the ACU track team defeated the rest of the 73-woman field by nearly 24 seconds with a time of 18:07.22.
Honorable mentions went to Irma Garza of Incarnate Word and Abby Hoover of Oral Roberts.
In being named the men's runner of the week, Harper lowered his personal best for the second week in a row and ran the fastest 6K time by a Golden Eagle this season. Harper finished third at the J.K. Gold Classic this past weekend, the highest of his career and third consecutive top-10 finish.
Each school's sports information director nominates and votes for the players of the week, though is not permitted to vote for his or her own player. To receive honorable mention, a player must receive votes from 25 percent of the Southland sports information directors.
Susset and the Wildcats return to action Friday evening for the Texas Tech Red Raider Open. Races begin at 5:30 p.m.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash