FRISCO, Texas - Abilene Christian senior Chloe Susset and Oral Roberts sophomore Jonathan Harper Tuesday were named the Southland Conference Cross Country Men's and Women's Athletes of the Week.
Susset is the first Wildcat to be voted as a Southland Conference athlete of the week. Several ACU volleyball and soccer players, however, have been listed as honorable mentions over the past two weeks.
Susset earned the majority of votes over several nominees after winning Saturday's 5K at the Bill Libby/McMurry Invitational. The native of Clery Vexin, France and all-America with the ACU track team defeated the rest of the 73-woman field by nearly 24 seconds with a time of 18:07.22.
Honorable mentions went to Irma Garza of Incarnate Word and Abby Hoover of Oral Roberts.
In being named the men's runner of the week, Harper lowered his personal best for the second week in a row and ran the fastest 6K time by a Golden Eagle this season. Harper finished third at the J.K. Gold Classic this past weekend, the highest of his career and third consecutive top-10 finish.
Each school's sports information director nominates and votes for the players of the week, though is not permitted to vote for his or her own player. To receive honorable mention, a player must receive votes from 25 percent of the Southland sports information directors.
Susset and the Wildcats return to action Friday evening for the Texas Tech Red Raider Open. Races begin at 5:30 p.m.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Texas woman slain as boyfriend shoots at another man
- Official: Storm triggered sensor that halted new Six Flags roller coaster
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- KTXS Forecast: Thunderstorm chances continue as next cold front approaches
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent says school will be open next year
- Brown County law enforcement holds ceremony honoring fallen officers
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks