FT. WORTH, Texas - TCU defensive end Devonte Fields has been suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season due to an unspecified violation of "university and team policy."
Coach Gary Patterson announced the suspension of the Big 12 defensive player of the year in a one-sentence statement Wednesday. Patterson didn't immediately return a message left on his cellphone. School officials had no further comments or details about the statement.
As a freshman last season, Fields had 18Â½ tackles for losses and 10 quarterback sacks. Along with being voted the league's top defender, he was the Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year.
The Horned Frogs open Aug. 31 against LSU at Cowboys Stadium. They play Southeastern Louisiana at home the following week.
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated DPS identifies man killed in Hwy 84 crash near Santa Anna, Coleman
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017