CINCINNATI, Ohio - Abilene Christian's season-opening two-game winning streak was halted Saturday night by Xavier at the Eastern Hills Indoor Tennis Club. The Musketeers beat the Wildcats, 5-2, in a dual where three singles matches were determined by a third-set tiebreaker.
"Wow, they were tough ... second best team in the Big East Conference," said ACU head coach Hutton Jones. "I felt the match could have gone either way, but they pushed us good and we're a better team coming home because of this trip."
ACU won the first two matches of its weekend roadtrip to Southwest Ohio Friday, defeating Wright State and Cincinnati by matching 4-3 scores. But tonight the Musketeers came away with the doubles point before winning four of the six singles matches at No. 1, 2, 3 and 6.
Senior Micah Hermsdorf and junior Brittney Reed both lost in the tiebreaker. Hermsdorf fell to Alex Brinker at No. 1, 6-4, 4-6, 10-8, while Reed dropped a 2-6, 6-3, 10-3 decision to Cristian Di Lorenzo at No. 3.
After playing her previous two matches at No. 3, freshman Erin Walker was moved up to No. 2 singles and lost in straight sets to Sydney Liggins, 6-2, 6-0, and rookie Ansley Boarman lost her dual-match debut at No. 6 to Lizzie Oosterbaan, 6-1, 7-5.
Sophomore Nada Marjanovic, however, improved to 4-1 on the year with a comeback victory over Daniella Patton at No. 4, 4-6, 6-2, 10-5, and Kaysie Hermsdorf topped Andrea Wolf at No. 5, 6-4, 6-2.
In doubles, the Hermsdorf sisters won the Wildcats' lone match at the No. 1 position, beating Liggins and Brinker, 6-4, to improve to 5-2 on the season.
The Wildcats return to action next Saturday, Feb. 8 with a home doubleheader vs. Texas-Permian Basin and Trinity. Matches start at 8 a.m. at the Teague Events Center.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program