AUSTIN, Texas - Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, who ranked second on the team in scoring, will transfer after a season of clashes with coach Rick Barnes.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points but also was left on the bench for long stretches and sometimes almost entire games as Texas fell to its first losing season in 15 years. Team spokesman Scott McConnell confirmed McClellan had asked for his release and said the school would not comment until the paperwork was completed.
McClellan is the second Texas player to leave from a team that went 16-18. Forward Jaylon Bond, who played in 20 games, also decided to transfer.
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Lingering rain chances through the week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack
- Updated Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire