AUSTIN, Texas - Texas guard Sheldon McClellan, who ranked second on the team in scoring, will transfer after a season of clashes with coach Rick Barnes.
McClellan averaged 13.5 points but also was left on the bench for long stretches and sometimes almost entire games as Texas fell to its first losing season in 15 years. Team spokesman Scott McConnell confirmed McClellan had asked for his release and said the school would not comment until the paperwork was completed.
McClellan is the second Texas player to leave from a team that went 16-18. Forward Jaylon Bond, who played in 20 games, also decided to transfer.
- Girl, 17, missing after police find three bodies at her home in California
- Updated Poll: Clinton, Trump virtually tied headed into debate
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Approaching cold front to bring below average temperatures
- Abilene Zoo celebrates Golden Zoobilation
- Officials: Texas man kills father during disturbance