AUSTIN, Texas - The University of Texas has promoted Mario Sategna (suh-TAYN'-yuh) to head coach of the Longhorns' newly combined men's and women's track and field programs.
The announcement came in a university statement Thursday. Sategna had been associate head coach of the men's team. He succeeds retiring men's coach Bubba Thornton and Bev Kearney, who resigned as women's coach in January after the revelation of an improper relationship with one of her athletes in 2002.
In a federal complaint filed in March, Kearney also described years of friction between herself and Thornton.
Sategna has been on the UT track coaching staff since 2003.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated