AUSTIN, Texas - Texas redshirt freshman quarterback Connor Brewer has been granted an unconditional release to transfer.
The school announced the move Tuesday night. A statement from the school did not say where Brewer would transfer.
A former high school all-American, Brewer was one of the top quarterback recruits in the country out of Scottsdale, Ariz., but was just one of several Longhorns battling for the No. 2 spot behind starter David Ash.
In a statement, Brewer said it was in his "best interest" to pursue other options for his college career. Texas coach Mack Brown said he wishes Brewer the "best of luck."
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot