LUBBOCK, Texas - Baker Mayfield threw for three touchdowns and 367 yards - all in the first half - and Kenny Williams rushed for two more scores as Texas Tech beat Stephen F. Austin 61-13 on Saturday night.
Mayfield, a walk-on freshman, threw TD passes of 42, 25 and 60 yards. He completed 21 of 30 passes.
His favorite receiver, Jace Amaro, finished with eight catches for 142 yards and a touchdown.
Williams' scores of 1 and 18 yards came in the first quarter.
Stephen F. Austin (0-2) couldn't keep up with the prolific offense of the Red Raiders (2-0). The closest the Lumberjacks were was 14-7 after 75-yard pass from wide receiver Tyler Boyd to Mike Brooks, who scampered untouched along the sideline for the score.
The start of the game was delayed about 45 minutes because of lightning in the area.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies