AUSTIN, Texas - Texas wide receiver Mike Davis has issued an apology for a cut block against an Iowa State defender that drew a personal foul penalty, a day after saying he'd "do the same thing" again.
Davis was penalized for his block on Deon Broomfield and was publicly reprimanded by the Big 12 for the play last Thursday.
On Monday, Davis said he was glad Broomfield wasn't hurt. He said the play called for him to block the defender. But he suggested Broomfield wasn't playing hard and deserved the cut block at his left knee. Davis said: "I'd do the same thing" in a similar situation.
In a statement released Tuesday, Davis says he didn't want to hurt Broomfield. He apologized to the player and Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer