ABILENE, Texas - With rain expected to fall throughout Wednesday afternoon, the Abilene Christian and Hardin-Simmons softball coaches decided to reschedule their doubleheader at Poly Wells Field to Tuesday, March 25 at 3 p.m.
Tomorrow's forecast calls for plenty of sunshine and an afternoon high of 65 degrees.
The crosstown rivals were originally scheduled to play their first game against one another since 2005 on Feb. 25, but that date also was scratched due to weather concerns.
ACU enters this week, which will later include a weekend series against Southland Conference rival Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, with an overall record of 11-17 after losing two of three in their league debut at Incarnate Word. The Wildcats lost two tough games Saturday at Cardinals Field, but junior came through Sunday with a brilliant three-hit shutout that featured five strikeouts.
The Wildcats sealed Sunday's 3-0 victory away in the top of the fifth with a pair of runs. , who is in the midst of a six-game hitting streak, got the inning started with a slap infield single. She then went to second on a groundout and scored to make it 2-0 as ripped a 1-0 pitch up the middle for a single.
then flared a ball into right field that dropped between outgoing second baseman Lindsey Hood and hard-charging rightfielder Whitney Waltrip. The ball bounced past Waltrip as the two UIW defenders hit the ground and Smith scored easily as Flanary charged into third base with a standup triple. Flanary's triple was her first of the season and one of four hits she had against Cardinal pitching, lifting her batting average to .319.
The team is hitting a conference-best .330 overall, led by Smith's .330 batting average, six home runs and 26 RBI. Her six round-trippers and RBI total have her ranked fourth in the Southland, while her 53 total bases rank sixth.
In the circle, freshman ranks third in the Southland with seven wins, fourth with 97 strikeouts, and fifth with 90.1 innings pitched. Her three shutouts are tied for first place and her .253 opponents' batting average is the eighth lowest in the league.
The Cowgirls make the trip down Ambler Avenue with a 12-9 overall record and 10-8 mark against the American Southwest Conference.
HSU's offense is led by Kara LeLeux (.385-2 HR-15 RBI) and Sydnie Darden (.373-1 HR-10 RBI), while its pitching rotation is anchored by seven-game winner Keeley Lowrance (4.29 ERA / 25 Ks).
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- United Supermarket on South 14th Street robbed, suspect sought
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking