ABILENE, TX - It was a hot one at Shelton Stadium Friday afternoon as the HSU Cowboys continued preseason camp, looking forward to starting their 2014 campaign which is a year defined by competition.
Hardin-Simmons brings back 78 players from last season, a year in which the cowboys didn't have a winning record for the first time in 21 seasons.
But this year is promising. The team's three returning quarterbacks are all vying for the job. Evin Abbe, Ryan Brenton, and Weston Garner all have a shot at leading the cowboys this season. That's making head coach Jesse Burleson's job a bit tougher.
"We're not going to make that decision. I know that everybody assumes that we do, but the team's going to make that decision," explained Burleson who is entering his fourth year with the team.
"That's what we told all three of those guys that there's no secrets, everybody is going to know what's going on, so they understand in order for them to be the starting quarterback here, it's going to be up to them to win over the rest of the team and prove that they are the guy, because us as coaches, we are not going to make that decision."
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking