ABILENE, TX - It was a hot one at Shelton Stadium Friday afternoon as the HSU Cowboys continued preseason camp, looking forward to starting their 2014 campaign which is a year defined by competition.
Hardin-Simmons brings back 78 players from last season, a year in which the cowboys didn't have a winning record for the first time in 21 seasons.
But this year is promising. The team's three returning quarterbacks are all vying for the job. Evin Abbe, Ryan Brenton, and Weston Garner all have a shot at leading the cowboys this season. That's making head coach Jesse Burleson's job a bit tougher.
"We're not going to make that decision. I know that everybody assumes that we do, but the team's going to make that decision," explained Burleson who is entering his fourth year with the team.
"That's what we told all three of those guys that there's no secrets, everybody is going to know what's going on, so they understand in order for them to be the starting quarterback here, it's going to be up to them to win over the rest of the team and prove that they are the guy, because us as coaches, we are not going to make that decision."
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene
- Updated Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck