NEW YORK, N.Y. - McMurry shot putter Paul Davis fouled on all three of his preliminary attempts at the Armory Collegiate Invitational, failing to reach the finals of an event for the first time since the 2013 USA Indoor National Championships last March. The recent winter weather certainly did nothing to help Davis' trip to the "Big Apple."
Davis – and throws coach Jerry Johnson – were to catch a 7 a.m. flight out of Abilene that finally left around 1:30 p.m. After getting to Dallas for their connection to New York's La Guardia Airport, they again found themselves missing their original flight and then delayed while the airline rustled up a flight crew for a later flight.
When they finally departed Dallas it was approaching 9 p.m., which put them into New York around 1 a.m. local time. By the time they ran down their luggage, caught a taxi and checked into their hotel, it was 3 a.m. Davis had to get up a few hours later for breakfast and then the shot put competition began at 2:15 p.m. that afternoon.
"To be honest I think Paul looked mentally tired," said Johnson. "Shot putting requires so much concentration and – when you compete at the elite level as Paul does – the timing is so exact and precise. Everything was just out of sync.
"The field at the competition was also so large, that he was not able to even get in any warm-up except for two attempts. Plus, the ring was slick and when he tried to drive out of the back he was slipping badly. He never looked comfortable before getting into the actual competition.
"I think this is one of those times where you file away what you learned and just go on to the next event. We all know what Paul is capable of doing."
Davis is next slated to compete at the Air Force Invitational next weekend (Feb. 14-15)
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated