NEW ORLEANS, La. - McMurry University senior shot put specialist Paul Davis (Lubbock, Texas/Coronado H.S.) continues to reap the rewards of his efforts in competition, earning the national men's "Co-Athlete of the Week" for NCAA Division II from the United States Track and Field & Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).
On Friday, Davis won the shot put at the Texas Tech Masked Rider Open and - for the second-consecutive week - broke his own school record in the process. Actually, "broke" may be too mild; "shattered" is more accurate, as Davis had a winning heave of 65-03.25 (19.89m) to best his previous standard by nearly 2 1/2 feet! In all, it was the sixth time in his McM career that Davis has set the indoor shot put record. Davis currently has the seventh-best throw in all collegiate levels and is tied for the seventh-best effort in the entire USA.
Davis throw was also the second-best in NCAA Division II history for the indoor shot put. Only current record holder Christopher Reed of Minnesota State – who actually set the record last weekend, as well – has a better a better mark (65-10.25) than Davis.
It was Davis' second such honor from the USTFCCCA of his career (also winning once last season, as well).
Davis will take aim at the NCAA II standard on Friday (Feb. 7), when he competes in the prestigious Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York, N.Y. Davis is the top seed in the field that is comprised of mainly NCAA I competitors.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer