GREENVILLE, S.C. - McMurry University senior shot put specialist Paul Davis was named as the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) national men's indoor track and field "Athlete of the Week" for the period ending January 18, 2014, it was announced today.
Davis – competing in his home town of Lubbock, Texas at the Texas Tech Open – got within 10 inches of his own school record in the event. Davis placed second overall in the shot, finishing behind Tech's Kole Weldon (last year's NCAA Division I runner-up in the indoor shot) with an effort of 61' 4 ¾".
This is Davis' fourth NCCAA "Athlete of the Week" honor in just over one year of membership in the organization by McMurry. Davis is the defending NCCAA champion and recordholder in both the indoor and outdoor shot put.
Davis and the War Hawks will face some tough competition on Friday at the Kansas University Jayhawk Classic.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco