GREENVILLE, S.C. - McMurry University senior shot put specialist Paul Davis was named as the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) national men's indoor track and field "Athlete of the Week" for the period ending January 18, 2014, it was announced today.
Davis – competing in his home town of Lubbock, Texas at the Texas Tech Open – got within 10 inches of his own school record in the event. Davis placed second overall in the shot, finishing behind Tech's Kole Weldon (last year's NCAA Division I runner-up in the indoor shot) with an effort of 61' 4 ¾".
This is Davis' fourth NCCAA "Athlete of the Week" honor in just over one year of membership in the organization by McMurry. Davis is the defending NCCAA champion and recordholder in both the indoor and outdoor shot put.
Davis and the War Hawks will face some tough competition on Friday at the Kansas University Jayhawk Classic.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Updated Search continues in Sweetwater after man ditches motorcycle, flees
- New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend