GREENVILLE, S.C. - McMurry University senior shot put specialist Paul Davis was named as the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) national men's indoor track and field "Athlete of the Week" for the period ending January 18, 2014, it was announced today.
Davis – competing in his home town of Lubbock, Texas at the Texas Tech Open – got within 10 inches of his own school record in the event. Davis placed second overall in the shot, finishing behind Tech's Kole Weldon (last year's NCAA Division I runner-up in the indoor shot) with an effort of 61' 4 ¾".
This is Davis' fourth NCCAA "Athlete of the Week" honor in just over one year of membership in the organization by McMurry. Davis is the defending NCCAA champion and recordholder in both the indoor and outdoor shot put.
Davis and the War Hawks will face some tough competition on Friday at the Kansas University Jayhawk Classic.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer