RICHARDSON, Texas - Freshman goalkeeper Michael Vargas recorded 10 saves, including stopping a penalty kick late in regulation to push the Hardin-Simmons men's soccer to a 0-0 draw against No. 13 Texas-Dallas on Saturday night in Richardson.
UTD put out an offensive assault in the second half and the overtime, outshooting the Cowboys 16-3 after halftime. Vargas was up for the task.
The Comets outshot the Cowboys 23-10 overall and 10-5 on goal in the game.
It was the second time this season the Cowboys have tied a nationally-ranked team. HSU tied Pacific Lutheran earlier, who is ranked sixth nationally.
The Cowboys played a pair of scoreless draws on the first weekend of American Southwest Conference play. HSU is 2-3-3 overall and 0-0-2 in conference action. UTD is now 7-0-2 and 1-0-1 in conference action.
HSU hosts Mary Hardin-Baylor on Friday in the start of a four-game homestand.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Updated KTXS Forecast: A fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck