RICHARDSON, Texas - Freshman goalkeeper Michael Vargas recorded 10 saves, including stopping a penalty kick late in regulation to push the Hardin-Simmons men's soccer to a 0-0 draw against No. 13 Texas-Dallas on Saturday night in Richardson.
UTD put out an offensive assault in the second half and the overtime, outshooting the Cowboys 16-3 after halftime. Vargas was up for the task.
The Comets outshot the Cowboys 23-10 overall and 10-5 on goal in the game.
It was the second time this season the Cowboys have tied a nationally-ranked team. HSU tied Pacific Lutheran earlier, who is ranked sixth nationally.
The Cowboys played a pair of scoreless draws on the first weekend of American Southwest Conference play. HSU is 2-3-3 overall and 0-0-2 in conference action. UTD is now 7-0-2 and 1-0-1 in conference action.
HSU hosts Mary Hardin-Baylor on Friday in the start of a four-game homestand.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated