RICHARDSON, Texas - Freshman goalkeeper Michael Vargas recorded 10 saves, including stopping a penalty kick late in regulation to push the Hardin-Simmons men's soccer to a 0-0 draw against No. 13 Texas-Dallas on Saturday night in Richardson.
UTD put out an offensive assault in the second half and the overtime, outshooting the Cowboys 16-3 after halftime. Vargas was up for the task.
The Comets outshot the Cowboys 23-10 overall and 10-5 on goal in the game.
It was the second time this season the Cowboys have tied a nationally-ranked team. HSU tied Pacific Lutheran earlier, who is ranked sixth nationally.
The Cowboys played a pair of scoreless draws on the first weekend of American Southwest Conference play. HSU is 2-3-3 overall and 0-0-2 in conference action. UTD is now 7-0-2 and 1-0-1 in conference action.
HSU hosts Mary Hardin-Baylor on Friday in the start of a four-game homestand.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon