ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's baseball team received another round of excellent pitching in a non-conference doubleheader sweep over Arlington Baptist College, 3-2 and 4-0, at Walt Driggers Field. The pair of wins upped the War Hawks record to 12-17 overall.
Junior righthander started the day off on a high note for McM, tossing a four-hit complete game victory. Zier allowed one earned run over his seven innings, striking out six Patriots and walking just one. He improved his personal record to 3-4 on the year.
Christian Simons' RBI single in the bottom of the third plated with the first run of the afternoon. But ABC came back to tie the game in the top of the fourth. Neither team was able to add anything to its total until the top of the seventh, when the Patriots scratched out a run to move ahead, 2-1.
Down to its final at-bat, McMurry had another come-from-behind rally for the win in the bottom half of the frame. was hit by a pitch to start things off. then laid down a sacrifice bunt, but an error by the pitcher covering first left everyone safe. came on to run for Berryman, representing the potential winning run.
Koll then laid down a perfect bunt and an attempted force at third was late to load the bases. That brought up , who promptly doubled down the leftfield line, scoring both Ruiz and Adams for the 3-2 win.
Koll and Simmons each went 2-for-3 in the game to lead the hitting attack in game one. In all, McMurry out-hit Arlington Baptist by a 7-4 margin.
For game two, McM head coach gave the ball to for just his second start of the year. Ragsdale, the War Hawks' earned run average leader at 0.79, responded with another sterling outing. The freshman lefty went six strong innings, allowed two hits and no runs to ABC in evening his record at 1-1 on the year.
tossed a scoreless seventh to keep the Patriots at bay.
Two-out rallies in the third, fourth and fifth innings netted McM all its first runs. In the third, Simmons was hit by a pitch, stole second and scored on a Berryman RBI single. With two away in the fourth, Ruiz singled and moved to second on a walk. A double by got Ruiz home to make it 2-0.
In the fifth, Koll singled and scored on a two-out double off the bat of . was the next up and singled through the left side to drive in Douglas with the fourth and final run of the day for McM.
Douglas and Ruiz each went 2-for-3 in game two, leading McMurry's eight-hit attack (ABC had just three singles in the game.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated