ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's football team will finally get a helping of "home cooking" this Saturday when it plays its first game of the season at Wilford Moore Stadium, versus Oklahoma Panhandle State.
The War Hawks, who are 0-3, will be searching for victory No. 1 this year, while the Aggies will put their 1-3 record on the line.
"We're excited to play at Wilford Moore Stadium and for people to come out to 'The Moore'," McM head coach said. "We're excited about the new stadium and the new turf. It's 'Military Appreciation Day' and we'll be wearing the 'camo' uniforms, so the kids are excited about that.
"Just to be able to play in front of our home crowd; there's lots of stuff going on around campus and lots of spirit. Our fans want to see their team play. We're excited to come home."
OPSU and McMurry will clash on the gridiron for the 23rd time on Saturday. The War Hawks own a 15-7 advantage over the Aggies in the series. McM is on the longest win-skein in the series – five straight – and have come out on top in eight of the last nine match-ups.
Included in that total was last year's 42-33 win by McM in Goodwell, Okla. In last year's outing, OPSU held McM to a minus-18 yards on the ground. But what they lacked on land, the War Hawks more than made up for by air. Then quarterback Jake Mullen completed 34-of-45 passes for 440 yards and five aerial touchdowns in the win.
had six grabs for 133 yards. added nine catches for 96 yards and two TDs. , and all had TD receptions, as well.
and had eight and seven tackles, respectively, to lead the defense.
Thus far in 2013, both of these teams have lost to some perennial powers and upper-division opponents. OPSU has a victory over Sterling College, while dropping games at Lamar University, Adams State and Montana (the #9-ranked team in the NCAA I FCS).
McMurry has lost at NCAA I FCS foes Abilene Christian and Stephen F. Austin, as well as at Lone Star Conference member Texas A&M-Kingsville.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend