LAWTON, Oklahoma - McMurry men's tennis came up just shy of knocking off Cameron University – ranked No. 1 in the region and No. 17 in the nation – in a road loss, 5-4, at the Streich-Henry Tennis Complex.
The Aggies led in the team score, 2-1, after the completion of doubles. The McMurry No. 1 team of and , ranked second in the NCAA II South Central Region, defeated CU's duo of Rory de Boer and Felipe Oyarzun (ranked No. 8), 9-8 (6-0).
The Aggies would pick up the singles match wins necessary to secure the match by claiming the Nos. 1, 3 and 4 bouts. CU had regionally-ranked players at all three of those contests.
However, at No. 2 singles, McMurry's Breaux upset No. 7-ranked Rory deBoar in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. It was Breaux's seventh singles win of the year.
The War Hawks also took the Nos. 5 and 6 matches. At the fifth slot, Rico duked it out with the Aggies' Joao Fazendeiro, winning in three sets, 6-4, 1-6, 10-8. The win improved Rico to a team-leading 14-3 in singles action in 2014.
At No. 6 singles, dispatched of Dean Weigelt in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
#17 Cameron 5, McMurry University 4
Apr 10, 2014 at Lawton, OK (Streich-Henry Tennis Complex)
|1. Dennis Merdan (CU) def. (MCMMT) 6-1, 6-3|
|2. (MCMMT) def. Rory de Boer (CU) 6-1, 6-4|
|3. Felipe Oyarzun (CU) def. (MCMMT) 6-1, 6-4|
|4. Angelo Lencioni (CU) def. (MCMMT) 6-3, 7-5|
|5. (MCMMT) def. Joao Fazendeiro (CU) 6-4, 1-6, 10-8|
|6. (MCMMT) def. Dean Weigelt (CU) 7-5, 6-2|
|1. / (MCMMT) def. Rory de Boer/Felipe Oyarzun (CU) 9-8 (6-0)|
|2. Angelo Lencioni/Dean Weigelt (CU) def. / (MCMMT) 9-8 (4-0)|
|3. Dennis Merdan/Joao Fazendeiro (CU) def. / (MCMMT) 8-6|
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Retired Texas teachers' health care premiums projected to double
- Updated Abilene mayor says city playing 'catch up' on roads
- Updated Teen flown to Abilene hospital after Sweetwater rollover crash
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm, quiet conditions to finish the week
- Updated Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Abilene ISD bus barn ransacked during break-in
- Dyess Big Country AirFest to arrive at Abilene Regional Airport
- Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Jury finds Abilene mother guilty of intentionally starving baby
- Country stars headed to Abilene for Outlaws and Legends music festival
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency