LUBBOCK, Texas - The McMurry baseball program will look to bounce back from a 10-2 defeat at the hands of Abilene Christian University when it takes on Lubbock Christian University.
In the War Hawks previous contest against ACU, McM couldn't put it together as five errors helped lead to the 10 Wildcat runs, to give the War Hawks their four loss in five games.
Reversely, the Chaps are coming into the series having dropped their last contest to Eastern New Mexico University, 3-0. In the game, LCU managed just three hits.
Offensively for the War Hawks, the team is currently hitting .248 on the year. Three different hitters are above .300 on the season, led by Eric Mortiz's .429 average. Zack Hagan<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3357> and Dylan De Leon<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3353> are hitting .313 and .308, respectively. Ricky Garcia<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3489> leads the team in RBIs with four and has also hit a home run this season. De Leon, Eric Preuss<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3501> and Casey Berryman<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3351> all have three RBIs on the season.
On the mound this season, the War Hawks continue to get good production, as the team boasts a 3.10 ERA. Caleb Gonzales<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3355> and Spencer Smith<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3365> continue to lead the way as both have a sub-1.00 ERA this season. Gonzales has made four appearances this year and is 1-0 with a .90 ERA. He has allowed just eight hits while striking out seven.
Spencer Smith<http://mcmurrysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3365> has made the most of his first three starts this season, pitching 19.1 innings while boasting a .93 ERA. He has allowed just 14 total base runners through three starts and is holding opponents to a .145 batting average.
So far on the year, the Chaps are being led by Christian Vazquez who is hitting .469 and leas the team in hits (23) and RBIs (16). Brennyan Smith is hitting .44 on the season, while Brandon Wilson is coming into the weekend with a .410 average.
On the mound, Derek Loera serves as the Chaps' ace and he is currently sporting a 3-0 record with a 0.00 ERA. Through 19 innings of work this year, Loera has allowed just six hits and 10 total base runners while striking out 22.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Updated Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program