BARTLESVILLE, Okla. - The McMurry men's basketball team used a total team effort to dominate Crowley's Ridge College, 94-52, in the opening round of the NCCAA Central Regional Tournament on Thursday afternoon. During the contest, nine of the War Hawks' 10 players that saw the court, scored at least six points.
The Pioneers of Crowley's Ridge had the lead just once in the game (6-2). Baskets by Alfred Perez, Connor Robinson and AJ Peralta gave McMurry the 8-6 lead with 15:36 to play in the half and McMurry never looked back.
With McM up just one, 11-10, the War Hawks put on a 15-4 run that included four points apiece by Robinson and DJ Stennis to take the 26-14 advantage, with 8:39 left in the frame. McMurry would continue on the rest of the first half, leading by double figures, until a three pointer by Josh Longino at the buzzer cut the War Hawks' lead to just nine at the break, 41-32.
In the second half, however, the game was all McMurry as the War Hawks rolled over the Pioneers by shooting 20-of-36 in the second half and outscoring Crowley's Ridge, 53-20 in the second stanza. The huge second-half helped McM capture its biggest margin of victory this season, 94-52.
In the game, Brock Kimball led the way for the War Hawks, notching a career-high, 15-points in the contest, which included going 3-for-5 from beyond the arc. The team also used a very balanced as five other players notched double-figures. Takoby Jackson finished with 14 points, Connor Robinson had 12, and Dominick Walker, Alfred Perez and DJ Stennis all score 10 each.
As a team, the War Hawks shot 52 percent from the field and made eight, three-point shots, which is four more than their season average. The team also held Crowley's Ridge to 35 percent shooting while forcing 19 turnovers in the contest. The War Hawks also dominated the glass, outrebounding CRC, 49-23, the largest rebounding margin for McM this season.
The War Hawks next task will be the Crimson Storm of Southern Nazarene University in semi-final play. The Crimson Storm defeated Colorado Christian, 85-77 in the first quarter final match of the day. Game time is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start time.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated