ABILENE, Tx - McMurry University's women's basketball team slugged it out with the University of Texas Permian Basin for the entire regulation 40 minutes, before eventually succumbing in overtime, 77-67, at Kimbrell Arena.
The loss dropped the War Hawks to 2-12 overall and 2-8 in the Heartland Conference, extending McM's losing streak to four games. Conversely, the win snapped the Falcons' eight-game skid as the visitors improved to 3-11, 2-7 in the HC.
"From any standpoint a win is what we need," McMurry head coach said. "And we didn't get that tonight. It's frustrating.
"It was a give-and-take type match. We pushed; they pushed. They pushed; we pushed. They just pushed first in overtime and we weren't able to respond to that."
McMurry held a slim 34-31 lead at the intermission. The War Hawks led by as much as nine points early in the game, opening the contest on an 11-2 run that eventually elicited a timeout by UTPB.
In the second period, the Falcons were able to pull out to a five-point margin, 44-39, with 12:38 left in regulation. A pair of free throws by McM's with 1:19 left in the second half put the War Hawks on top, 60-58. But UTPB made two free throws in the final minute to tie the game for the ninth time and send matters into overtime.
The extra segment belonged entirely to Permian Basin, however. The Falcons swooped in on McM, out-scoring the hosts 9-0 over the first three minutes to go ahead 69-60 and effectively seal the War Hawks' fate. McMurry could get no closer than six points – 73-67 – down the stretch.
Senior forward had another monster effort for McMurry. Collins had 19 points, hitting 6-of-18 from the floor, and pulled down nine rebounds. She also had two assists and five steals.
In the first half, Collins pulled down her 600th career rebound. In the second stanza, she made the 250th steal of her career, as well.
contributed 11 points and added 10 as the only other McM players in double figures. Dominguez also had seven rebounds.
had eight points and tied Collins for team-high rebound honors with nine.
McMurry will host Heartland Conference leader Lubbock Christian on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Information provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated