ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - As expected, coach John Fox has officially ruled out Wes Welker for Denver's game against San Diego on Thursday night because of a concussion.
The NFL's protocol for concussed players would have allowed Welker only to participate in light practice Thursday and only if he had passed baseline cognitive tests earlier in the week.
For competitive purposes, Fox had been coy about Welker's status during the week, other than to say the receiver's health was the team's top priority.
Welker was going low to catch a pass Sunday when Tennessee safety George Wilson legally hit him in the side of his neck, knocking him from the game.
Welker also sustained a concussion Nov. 17 against Kansas City but played the following week at New England.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Police arrest San Angelo city employee after theft investigation
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Updated Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills