TULSA, Oklahoma - The ACU Wildcats begin their final 10-game road trip of the 2014 season Friday with the first game of a three-game Southland Conference baseball series against the Golden Eagles of Oral Roberts.
This will be the only conference matchup between the Wildcats and Golden Eagles because ORU is leaving the Southland at the end of the year to return to the Summit League. The series will get started Friday at J.L. Johnson Stadium with the first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. Game two of the series is set for a 2 p.m. Saturday with the series finale set for 1 p.m. Sunday. This series will be the first ever meeting on the diamond between ACU and Oral Roberts.
The Wildcats enter the series at 16-28 overall and 5-13 in the Southland, while the Golden Eagles are 27-22 overall and 12-12 in league play. ORU – which has won four straight games – is in eight place in the league going into the final two weekends of the season. The Golden Eagles will play ACU at home this weekend and at Lamar next weekend as they try to hold onto the eighth and final spot in the Southland Conference Tournament, which is set for May 21-24 in Conway, Ark.
Oral Roberts carries one of the league's top pitching staffs into the series as the Golden Eagles rank fourth in the league in team ERA at 3.45. ORU is also fourth in the league in strikeouts with 331 by its pitching staff. ORU is also second in the league in fielding percentage at .970 with 55 errors in 49 games.
Offensively, ORU is led by Tyler Boss, who is hitting .360 with three home runs and 31 RBI. He is the only player on the ORU roster hitting better than .300 on the season. However, Jose Trevino is hitting .298 and is tied for second in the league with nine home runs and is fifth in the league in RBI with 38.
The pitching staff is led by Pepe Gomez, who is 7-3 with a 2.93 ERA in 14 appearances (nine starts) on the season. Gavin Glanz (3-4, 3.07 ERA in 12 starts), Guillermo Trujillo (2-3, 3.39 ERA in 12 starts) and Kurt Giller (3-3, 5.00 ERA in 12 starts) are likely to get the starting nods for the Golden Eagles.
The Wildcats continue to be led offensively by the duo of Seth Spivey and Brandon Grudzielanek. Spivey is fourth in the league in hitting at .364, while Grudzielanek is 10th at .350. Grudzielanek leads the Wildcats with 32 RBI, while Spivey has 31.
ACU is likely to start left-hander Brady Rodriguez (1-4, 5.84 ERA) on Friday with Garrett deMeyere (4-6. 4.54 ERA left in 13 starts) set to go on Saturday. Sunday's starter for the Wildcats has yet to be determined.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog