OMAHA, Nebraska - Abilene Christian's men's tennis team went undefeated at all six singles positions for the fourth time this season Friday night en route to a 6-1 victory over host Omaha at the Koch Family Tennis Center during the first day of competition at the National Invitational Tennis Tournament.
This three-day invite also includes NCAA DI independent program New Jersey Tech and Grand Canyon, which is in its first year of NCAA DI reclassification. The Wildcats (15-10) will play each of these teams Saturday.
Tonight the Wildcats got off to a bit of a shaky start as an 8-2 win by their No. 3 doubles team of Marco Bensley and Nicklas Wingord was followed by a pair of 8-4 losses at No. 1 and No. 2. But the Mavericks simply could not handle ACU's depth on the singles court as they lost their first five matches in straight sets and lastly a three-set thriller at No. 1 singles.
ACU's No. 1, junior Borja Cortés, nearly beat Tyler Mercier in straight sets, but Mercier held on to win the second set, 7-6, after losing the first, 6-3. Cortés then bested Mercier by two points in the super tiebreaker, 14-12, in improving to 14-10.
Further down the lineup, Cortés' teammates didn't seem to encounter much trouble with the Mavericks. Guilherme Gesser, Nicklas Wingord, Nico Agritelley and Marco Bensley didn't allow any of their opponents to score any more than three points, while sophomore Jason Proctor at No. 5, climbed a match over .500 at 12-11 after defeating James McManus, 6-4, 6-3.
Nico Agritelley's, 6-1, 6-3, victory at No. 4 over Colin Buckley was his eighth straight and lifted his season record to a team-best 17-7, but his loss at No. 2 doubles alongside Proctor snapped a seven-match winning streak.
Abilene Christian vs Omaha
Apr 25, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Koch Family Tennis Center)
Abilene Christian 6, Omaha 1
1. Borja Cortés (ACU) def. Tyler Mercier (NO) 6-3, 6-7, 14-12
2. Guilherme Gesser (ACU) def. Adam Dockery (NO) 6-2, 6-0
3. Nicklas Wingord (ACU) def. Eric McKnight (NO) 6-3, 6-1
4. Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. Colin Buckley (NO) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jason Proctor (ACU) def. James McManus (NO) 6-4, 6-3
6. Marco Bensley (ACU) def. Erik Anderson (NO) 6-3, 6-0
1. Eric McKnight/Adam Dockery (NO) def. Borja Cortés/Jason Proctor (ACU) 8-4
2. Tyler Mercier/Nathan Greteman (NO) def. Nico Agritelley/Guilherme Gesser (ACU) 8-4
3. Nicklas Wingord/Marco Bensley (ACU) def. Colin Buckley/Erik Anderson (NO) 8-2
Abilene Christian 15-10
National Invitational Tennis Tournament
Information for this story provided by Abilene Christian Athletics.