ABILENE, Texas - Senior center Steven Werner scored 22 points, guards Eric Lawton and Elliott Lloyd combined for 27, and the Abilene Christian men's basketball team cruised to an comfortable 83-48 victory over Southwestern Adventist Saturday night at Moody Coliseum.
The Wildcats shot a season-best .660 on 35-of-53 shooting, which came with a season high 20 assists. Lloyd dished out six assists to go with his 14 points, while Lawton and freshman guard Parker Wentz tied with five.
ACU also easlily won the rebounding battle, 44-17, as senior forward Dosh Simms pulled down 11, including seven off the defensive glass.
In the paint, the Wildcats out-scored the opposition, 48-10, and had 17 second-chance points to zero for the Knights.
The win lifted ACU's season record back to .500 at 7-7 while the Knights fell to 5-12.
ACU scored 47 of its 83 points in the first half on .613 shooting (19-31) from the field and was .500 from 3-point range (5-10). Werner dropped in 14 first-half points on 7-10 attempts and pulled down seven rebounds.
Southwestern scored the game's first bucket, which was then followed by 14 consecutive points by the Wildcats. ACU grabbed its largest lead of the half at 27 points with 2:36 remaining after Lawton buried a 3-pointer.
The Wildcats continued to extend their lead throughout the second half thanks to ..727 shooting (16-22). The home team led by 29 points at the first and second media timeouts, 30 with 7:48 remaining and 33 at the final media timeout taken with 3:29 to go.
The Wildcats return to action Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. vs. Incarnate Word.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances stay in the forecast
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase