PORTALES, N.M. - The Abilene Christian soccer team recorded its best all-around performance of the season Sunday in beating Eastern New Mexico on the road, 3-0. Goals were scored by Krysta Grimm, Katie Stivers and Julie Coppedge, while Arielle Moncure saved four shots in registering her third shutout of the season.
The victory snapped a season-worst five-match winless streak for the Wildcats, who improved to 4-8-1 overall and 2-6-1 within the Lone Star Conference. However, they still remain in last place and are five points behind Midwestern State (3-7-3, 3-3-3 LSC) and Eastern (5-8, 4-5) for the sixth and final playoff spot.
Texas A&M-Commerce (4-8, 3-6 LSC) sits in seventh place with nine points.
The Wildcats entered today's match with a scuffling offense that came in averaging just 0.75 goals and 12 shots per match, and only a pair of multi-goal games to their name. But their fortunes started to shift late in the first half, when Whitley Lindholm connected with Krysta Grimm in the 40th minute, and then Katie Stivers hooked in her first goal of the year in the 56th-minute off a corner kick.
Coppedge sealed the victory in the 83rd minute after beating the defense with an unassisted score, which was her third of the year.
Grimm, Coppedge and Andrea Carpenter, who had four shots today, currently share the team lead with three goals. Grimm also led all players with six attempts as ACU out-shot the Zias, 18-8.
Moncure made two of her four saves in the second half, but didn't have to face any shots over the final 10 minutes. The defense also kept the Zias from recording any corner kicks.
The Wildcats finish their regular season at home on a five-match homestand, which begins this Friday at 4 p.m. vs. Angelo State.
--Information provided by ACU Athletics Department
- Updated Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- Updated North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Updated Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog