ABILENE, Texas - It took Abilene Christian less than two hours to beat Bellarmine Thursday night at Crutcher Scott Field as both starter and closer were models of efficiency in the 5-2 victory.
The win was ACU's third straight, lifting their season record to 10-7, while the Knights (3-5) remain winless on their Texas Spring Break trip at 0-4.
Palmer (1-2) tonight didn't at all resemble the pitcher who started the year 0-2 with an ERA over 8.00 as he held Bellarmine hitless until there were two outs in the sixth when No. 9 hitter Justin Eberenz slapped a single through the right side.
That seemingly harmless hit opened the floodgates somewhat for the Knights as they ripped two more outfield hits that cut the ACU lead to 5-2. Palmer finally got of the ja, on a ground ball to second baseman , who tonight was credited with six assists.
Palmer recorded 13 ground outs overall, plus five Ks and one fly out on another blustery night in the Big Country.
Rodriguez took over in the seventh and faced the minimum nine batters to register his second save of the season. He recorded one strikeout in the eighth to go along with four fly outs and four ground balls.
ACU's offense was fairly consistent most of the night as it generated five runs on nine hits vs. five Bellarmine pitchers, who only issued one walk.
Senior got things going in the second with a leadoff double and scored two batters later on 's RBI ground ball to short. Schuetze would again come through in the fifth with a solid two-run knock to left field against reliever Ryan Dixon that pushed the Wildcat lead to 5-0.
Schuetze has now reached base in all 17 of ACU's games and is in the midst of a season-best nine-game hitting streak. After going 2-for-4 tonight, his average stands at a team-high .453.
In the third, and Spivey both singled to leadoff the inning vs. starter Phil Forbis (1-1) and would later score on a ground ball and single.
The Wildcats and Knights resume their three-game series Friday at 7 p.m.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting