ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian head women's basketball coach Julie Goodenough Monday announced the addition of Kyle Felan as assistant coach. Felan comes to Abilene after spending four seasons working in several capacities for the women's basketball coaching staff at Texas A&M University.
A native of Uvalde, Texas, Felan assisted the Aggie coaches with individual workouts, practice setups and drills, organizing and coordinating staff meetings, and handling the logistics for various program functions ranging from tailgates to recruiting and team road trips.
His responsibilities with the Wildcats will be somewhat similar in that he'll continue to coordinate travel in addition to academics. He also will recruit off campus, organize a male scout team, and assist with coaching and camps.
"It's a blessing to add Kyle to our staff," said Goodenough, who is at the start of her third year at ACU. "Kyle gained a wealth of experience from head coach Gary Blair and the women's basketball staff at Texas A&M. He had the opportunity to be very involved in many aspects of a nationally ranked SEC program, including post development and travel plans."
Felan's tenure with the Aggies began in 2010 as a student manager and concluded this spring as he worked his way into the role of women's basketball operations intern. He graduated in May of 2014 as a Regent Scholar with a Bachelor of Science degree in sport management and minored in business administration.
As his graduation date approached, Felan pushed hard to get his foot in the door at ACU and was quickly brought on board after being interviewed by Julie Goodenough.
"I've known about ACU athletics for a long time and have come to fall in love with this place and its people," said Felan. "Aside from getting to chance to work with a first-class coaching staff, I also was drawn here by the school's faith-based foundation. I knew this is where I wanted to be. This place was on the top of my wish list and so I emailed coach Goodenough about three times or so before I was interviewed. And I guess now was the right time, since the whole hiring process went real fast."
With the Aggies, Felan traveled to one Big 12 Tournament, two SEC Tournaments and three NCAA Championships. Texas A&M hosted first and second round NCAA Championship games in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and advanced to the regional rounds hosted in Raleigh, N.C. (2012) and Lincoln, Neb. (2013).
Felan also served as a camp coach for two summers (2012-13) at the Texas A&M Women's Basketball Camp and worked the College Station-based Gary Blair Celebrity Golf Tournament each year from 2011 to 2013.
Information for this story provided by Abilene Christian Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer