THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship with a 2-0 win over Claremont Mudd Scripps late on Saturday night in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
Katie Haltiwanger scored both goals for the Cowgirls. She struck first in the 19th minute on an assist from Devon Howard.
She put the game away with a goal in the 86th minute on an assist from Vivian Wells.
The Cowgirls, missing three regular starters to injury, played a more defensive style. HSU outshot the Athenas 13-7 overall and 9-1 on goal. HSU had a 6-2 advantage on corner kicks.
Lexi Stinson worked the shutout in goal with one save and Hannah Dunham had seven saves for CMS.
The Cowgirls are now 16-1-1 on the year and will get a chance to avenge its only loss of the season in the second round on Sunday against Puget Sound at 7 p.m. CST.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash