THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship with a 2-0 win over Claremont Mudd Scripps late on Saturday night in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
Katie Haltiwanger scored both goals for the Cowgirls. She struck first in the 19th minute on an assist from Devon Howard.
She put the game away with a goal in the 86th minute on an assist from Vivian Wells.
The Cowgirls, missing three regular starters to injury, played a more defensive style. HSU outshot the Athenas 13-7 overall and 9-1 on goal. HSU had a 6-2 advantage on corner kicks.
Lexi Stinson worked the shutout in goal with one save and Hannah Dunham had seven saves for CMS.
The Cowgirls are now 16-1-1 on the year and will get a chance to avenge its only loss of the season in the second round on Sunday against Puget Sound at 7 p.m. CST.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated