ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's women's soccer team played Newman University even for the bulk of its match, but a late goal by the visitors spelled a 1-0 defeats at Edwards Field. The War Hawks fell to 2-6-1 overall, while the Jets improved to 4-6 on the year.
After being out-shot by a 4-3 margin in the first half, McM returned the favor on Newman by a 7-5 count in the second period. However, Newman was able to take the shot that counted most.
In the 87th minute of play, Bonnie Charlton took a pass from Tori Hostick in front of the net and blasted home a 25-yard shot for what would prove to be the deciding goal, 1-0.
McM starting goalkeeper Chanel Felder, who has been battling injuries, lasted just 13 minutes into the match before giving way to Shelby Sova. Sova finished the day with four saves in her 77 minutes of work and was charged with the goal.
Savannah Whitaker had three of her team's 10 shots, two directly on goal. Aleria Luna also had three shot attempts and Jordan Longoria added two shots.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer