ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's women's soccer team played Newman University even for the bulk of its match, but a late goal by the visitors spelled a 1-0 defeats at Edwards Field. The War Hawks fell to 2-6-1 overall, while the Jets improved to 4-6 on the year.
After being out-shot by a 4-3 margin in the first half, McM returned the favor on Newman by a 7-5 count in the second period. However, Newman was able to take the shot that counted most.
In the 87th minute of play, Bonnie Charlton took a pass from Tori Hostick in front of the net and blasted home a 25-yard shot for what would prove to be the deciding goal, 1-0.
McM starting goalkeeper Chanel Felder, who has been battling injuries, lasted just 13 minutes into the match before giving way to Shelby Sova. Sova finished the day with four saves in her 77 minutes of work and was charged with the goal.
Savannah Whitaker had three of her team's 10 shots, two directly on goal. Aleria Luna also had three shot attempts and Jordan Longoria added two shots.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene