ANTHEM, Ariz. - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team closed its initial appearance in the Arizona Desert Classic with a 3-1 loss to La Verne on Sunday morning at Boulder Creek High School in Anthem, Ariz.
The Leopard put up three runs in the fifth inning and that proved to be enough for the win. Michael Reyes led off the fifth being hit by a pitch by starter Matt Rhodes and moved to second on a sac bunt. Josh Surdo then pinch hit and had an infield single and Jason Moralez hit a sacrifice fly to center and then Nick Bergara walked to chase Rhodes.
Ryan Reagor came on in relief and Cody Hazel had the big blow of the game a two-run double donw the right field line to plate both runs.
HSU scored its only run in the seventh inning when Jon Finney had a sacrifice fly. HSU had runners on first and second and no one out in the eighth but Andrew Bell, who had been the Cowboys' hottest hitter, grounded into a double play and Chris Matthews struck out to end the threat.
Freshman Matt Rhodes (0-1) was solid in his debut for the Cowboys. He worked four and two-third innings and allowed just two hits and three runs, while striking out three. Reagor worked two and one-third innings of scoreless relief and Tyler Brunnemann stuck out two in two scoreless innings.
Sean Beckman earned the win with five scoreless innings for La Verne. Phil Schick worked the final two and two-third innings for the save for the Leopards.
Marcus Uechi and Zack Patino had two hits each for the Cowboys. HSU actually outhit La Verne 7-6 in the game.
The Cowboys are now 2-2 on the year and La Verne improved to 3-1. HSU will play at Texas-Tyler next weekend in a three-game non-conference series.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated