ANTHEM, Ariz. - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team closed its initial appearance in the Arizona Desert Classic with a 3-1 loss to La Verne on Sunday morning at Boulder Creek High School in Anthem, Ariz.
The Leopard put up three runs in the fifth inning and that proved to be enough for the win. Michael Reyes led off the fifth being hit by a pitch by starter Matt Rhodes and moved to second on a sac bunt. Josh Surdo then pinch hit and had an infield single and Jason Moralez hit a sacrifice fly to center and then Nick Bergara walked to chase Rhodes.
Ryan Reagor came on in relief and Cody Hazel had the big blow of the game a two-run double donw the right field line to plate both runs.
HSU scored its only run in the seventh inning when Jon Finney had a sacrifice fly. HSU had runners on first and second and no one out in the eighth but Andrew Bell, who had been the Cowboys' hottest hitter, grounded into a double play and Chris Matthews struck out to end the threat.
Freshman Matt Rhodes (0-1) was solid in his debut for the Cowboys. He worked four and two-third innings and allowed just two hits and three runs, while striking out three. Reagor worked two and one-third innings of scoreless relief and Tyler Brunnemann stuck out two in two scoreless innings.
Sean Beckman earned the win with five scoreless innings for La Verne. Phil Schick worked the final two and two-third innings for the save for the Leopards.
Marcus Uechi and Zack Patino had two hits each for the Cowboys. HSU actually outhit La Verne 7-6 in the game.
The Cowboys are now 2-2 on the year and La Verne improved to 3-1. HSU will play at Texas-Tyler next weekend in a three-game non-conference series.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash