IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys have taken tight end Gavin Escobar of San Diego State in the second round of the NFL draft.
The Cowboys took Escobar with the 47th overall pick Friday night.
Jason Witten is entering his 11th season with the Cowboys and is the only pass-catcher in franchise history with more than 800 receptions. He's third on the career NFL list with 806 catches for 8,948 yards.
The 6-foot-5, 254-pound Escobar had 122 catches for 1,646 yards in three seasons with the Aztecs.
Witten's backup is James Hanna, a sixth-round pick last year.
Dallas has two picks in the third round - the 74th and 80th overall selections.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range