IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys have taken tight end Gavin Escobar of San Diego State in the second round of the NFL draft.
The Cowboys took Escobar with the 47th overall pick Friday night.
Jason Witten is entering his 11th season with the Cowboys and is the only pass-catcher in franchise history with more than 800 receptions. He's third on the career NFL list with 806 catches for 8,948 yards.
The 6-foot-5, 254-pound Escobar had 122 catches for 1,646 yards in three seasons with the Aztecs.
Witten's backup is James Hanna, a sixth-round pick last year.
Dallas has two picks in the third round - the 74th and 80th overall selections.
- Girl, 17, missing after police find three bodies at her home in California
- Poll: Clinton, Trump virtually tied headed into debate
- Updated Sunday Forecast: Cold front bringing cooler temperatures, more rain
- Abilene Zoo celebrates Golden Zoobilation
- Officials: Texas man kills father during disturbance