IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys have taken tight end Gavin Escobar of San Diego State in the second round of the NFL draft.
The Cowboys took Escobar with the 47th overall pick Friday night.
Jason Witten is entering his 11th season with the Cowboys and is the only pass-catcher in franchise history with more than 800 receptions. He's third on the career NFL list with 806 catches for 8,948 yards.
The 6-foot-5, 254-pound Escobar had 122 catches for 1,646 yards in three seasons with the Aztecs.
Witten's backup is James Hanna, a sixth-round pick last year.
Dallas has two picks in the third round - the 74th and 80th overall selections.
- Updated $108M later, Port of Houston gives up on cruise ships
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Updated Wanted Wednesday: Man, 21, sought by Abilene police
- Updated Reagan's daughter criticizes decision to free Hinkley
- Updated Gang member on Texas 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught