LONGVIEW, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team overcame a seven-point deficit in the final 2:04 of regulation to force overtime and then Eric Taylor's 3-pointer with :26 to play in overtime gave HSU a 79-78 American Southwest Conference win on Saturday at the Solheim Center in Longview.
The Cowboys jumped out quickly to a 19-10 lead in the first half and led most of the half and led 32-29 at halftime. HSU still led 47-43 with 10:57 to play when the Yellowjackets went on a 13-3 run to take a 56-50 lead with 7:40 to play.
LU still led 71-64 with 2:04 to play when the Cowboys came to life. Titus Mims hit a layup and then Eric Taylor scored a layup after getting a steal to make it 71-68 with 1:39 to play. Mims then was fouled on the Cowboys' next possession after HSU had forced another stop. He hit both free throws to make it 71-70 with :49 to play.
Justin Jones then scored for LeTourneau and the Cowboys had the ball with a chance to tie. John Derr, who had struggled shooting most of the day hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key to tie the game with :22 to play. HSU then stopped LeTourneau one more time to force overtime.
In the extra session, Ladaria Brown gave the Yellowjackets a 78-75 lead with 2:12 to play. Jeff Holland split a pair of free throws for the Cowboys and then the teams exchanged missed 3-pointers.
HSU rebounded a LeTourneau miss and had a chance to take the lead and this time Taylor, who was 0-for-8 on the day from 3-point range and had airballed a triple on the previous possession, did not hesitate when Darius Singletary drove the lane and found him wide open in the left wing. He buried the shot and HSU forced a turnover on the final possession.
Singletary led the Cowboys with 24 points and Titus Mims had 20 points and Taylor had 11.
Ladaria Brown led LeTourneau with 15points, Chad Williams and Kendrae Carter each scored 14 points and Deitrich Williams added 12 points.
The Cowboys head into ASC West play in a three-way tie for first place with Concordia and Mary Hardin-Baylor at 6-1. HSU plays at Concordia on Thursday and Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Lowe's Heroes gives back to the Disabled American Veterans
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase